It’s dessert time! Making desserts, especially Chinese desserts is so quick and delicious in the Instant Pot. I love making this Tapioca with Sweet Rice Balls / Glutinous Rice Balls / Chinese Glutinous Rice Dumplings / Tang Yuan 湯圓.
2 sweet potato potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups water
2 tablespoons rock sugar
2-3 slices of ginger
- 1/2 cup tapioca pearls
Ingredients for Sweet Rice Balls 湯圓
- 1/4 cup Glutinous rice flour (green label)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
(Makes 14 1/2” balls)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes (including time to pressurize)
Ready in: 15 minutes
Serving size: 8
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into 1” pieces
- Cut 3-4 slices of ginger
- Place sweet potato, ginger, rock sugar, tapioca and water into instant pot
- Close lid, and pressure cook on high for 10mins
- While soup is cooking, prepare Sweet Rice Balls by combining flour and water until dough forms. Roll into 1/2” sized ball.
- When soup is done cooking, release pressure.
- Open lid and Select Sauté. Place Sweet rice balls inside. All done once liquid boils.