Easy step by step video to show you how to make Tapioca and Sweet Rice Ball Dessert 湯圓 in your Instant Pot
It’s dessert time! Making desserts, especially Chinese desserts is so quick and delicious in the Instant Pot. I love making this Tapioca with Sweet Rice Balls / Glutinous Rice Balls / Chinese Glutinous Rice Dumplings / Tang Yuan 湯圓.
Add the rice balls in your desserts such as Red Bean Dessert or Black Sesame Pudding!
Tapioca and Sweet Rice Ball Dessert 湯圓
- 2 sweet potato potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons rock sugar
- 2-3 slices ginger
- ½ cup tapioca pearls
Ingredients for Sweet Rice Balls 湯圓 (Makes 14 1/2” balls)
- ¼ cup Glutinous rice flour (sweet rice flour / green label)
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into 1” pieces.
- Cut 3 to 4 slices of ginger.
- Open Instant Pot. Place sweet potato, ginger, rock sugar, tapioca and water into Instant Pot liner.2 sweet potato potatoes, 2 tablespoons rock sugar, 2-3 slices ginger, 1/2 cup tapioca pearls, 4 cups water
- Close Instant Pot. Select Pressure Cook on high for 10mins.
- While soup is cooking, prepare Sweet Rice Balls by combining flour and water until dough forms. Roll into 1/2” sized balls.1/4 cup Glutinous rice flour, 2 tablespoons water, 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- When soup is done cooking, release pressure (quick release).
- Open Instant Pot. Select Sauté. Place Sweet rice balls inside. All done once liquid boils.