Whey cool, eh? (Yes, you heard me, I used my Canadian accent 😛 ) I really do love the smooth taste of homemade yogurt. The first time I had homemade yogurt was actually in hong kong. It wasn’t made in the Instant Pot, but I definitely noticed how creamy and light the flavours were. I also really much prefer being able to control the amount of sugar that is added to my yogurt and that’s why I now make my own yogurt. The great thing about using whey as your starter is that you’re not wasting anything.
What is whey? When you strain yogurt – using a cheesecloth or coffee filter paper – a light yellow liquid called whey is strained out. This whey can be frozen and reused as your starter when you make your next batch of yogurt. No need to waste and no need to buy a yogurt starter. Now why would you want to strain your yogurt? If you like thick yogurt like greek yogurt, this is what you need to do.
This recipe for yogurt and whey is really the food that keeps on giving!. If you want to see how to make yogurt using a yogurt starter in your Instant Pot, take a look at the recipe here.
- 6 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons whey
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: ~9-10 hours
Ready in: 12 hours
Serving size: 8
- (optional – go to step 3 if you wish to skip sterilization) Sterilize instant pot liner by adding 1 cup of water, select steam for 1 minute.
- Remove water and let liner cool before making yogurt.
- Add 3 cups of milk to the instant pot liner.
- Close lid and select yogurt, adjust so that it displays BOIL.
- Once done, open and place food thermometer in to take the temperature. Stir around incase it is not evenly heated. If temperature displays 180 degrees F then you can proceed to next step. If milk temperature is less than 180 degrees F then do another boil (repeat steps 4-5 until temperature is reached).
- Remove liner from instant pot and place on pot holder to cool. Cool milk to 105-110 degrees F. To cool faster, you can stir milk or you can put the liner into an ice bath.
- Take about 2 cup of the milk and mix into your frozen whey.
- Once all melted, place whey mixture into the rest of the milk that is in the liner and stir.
- Close lid and select yogurt. Default is set for 8 hours.
- When done, take the liner out of instant pot and place your yogurt into the fridge (unless you like eating warm yogurt). Check out the end of the video to see how to get whey from your yogurt.