Easy step by step video to show you how to make Steamed Buns / Bao 包 in your Instant Pot
Finally, you can add Chinese Steamed Buns / Bao 包 to your recipes for the instant pot. There are so many options when making bao – keep it plain and twist it up, or fill them to make it sweet or savoury. If you want to learn how to make sweet taro paste to fill our bao for the perfect dessert, then go to 7min 50sec and check it out.
Steamed Buns / Bao 包
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon vinegar
- ½ cup water cold
Ingredients for Taro Filling
- 1 cup taro roughly cubed
- ¾ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Combine dry ingredients1 1/4 cup all purpose flour, 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Add oil, vinegar and water and mix until it becomes dough like2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon vinegar, 1/2 cup water
- Knead dough for 4-5 minutes until dough is smooth
- Open Instant Pot. Place dough onto parchment paper then into the Instant Pot liner.
- Close Instant Pot (a glass lid works too). Select Yogurt function, low for 15-30 minutes to proof dough.
- When done proofing, separate and roll out dough into 10-12 small balls.
- If Steaming in Instant Pot, add 1 cup of water and trivet into Instant Pot liner. Place each bao on parchment paper and into a bamboo steamer and put steamer onto trivet. Select steam for 15 minutes. Quick release when done.
Directions for Taro Filling
- Open Instant Pot. Add taro, sugar, and water into Instant Pot liner.
- Close Instant Pot. Select High Pressure cooking for 5 minutes.
- When done, do a quick release. Blend ingredients until smooth.
- If steaming from stove top, make sure the water is boiling, then steam on high for 15 minutes.
- Don't make the mistake and let all your water boil dry! Make sure you add enough water if you are steaming from the stove top.