Easy step by step video to show you how to make Chinese Braised Beef Shank in your Instant Pot
Chinese Braised Beef Shank usually takes what feels like forever to make, but the pressure cooker reduces that time. Instant want, instant get, instant pot. Everytime I make Chinese braised beef shank, it disappears within minutes. I think I should double this recipe whenever I make it because it’s always a hit. This recipe does take a bit more time as you will need to sear your meat first but it’s worth it for the flavours. Best part, you can reuse the sauce for many other dishes, like when you make Chinese Egg Custard (savoury)
Braised Beef Shank
- 1 tablespoon green onion
- 2 tablespoons ginger minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1.5-2 lb beef shank
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- rock sugar to taste I use about 2 tablespoons bc I like it a bit sweeter. I would recommend 1 tablespoon to start
- 1 cup of water
- sesame oil to taste in dipping sauce
- star anise
- Open Instant Pot. Select Saute.
- Add your oil, ginger and green onions.
- Then sear the outside of your beef shank.
- Once seared, add both types of soy sauce, your rock sugar and water.
- Add in star anise. Make sure it's submerged in liquid.
- Close Instant Pot. Select the Meat/Stew button. This will set it for high pressure cooking for 35 minutes.
- When done, let the pressure release naturally (around 10 minutes).
- (Optional) Place in fridge for 4 hours with sauce.
- Slice braised beef and serve with dipping sauce.
- To make dipping sauce, combine 1/4 cup of the braised beef sauce with 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil.