Chinese Braised Beef Shank usually takes what feels like forever to make, but the pressure cooker reduces that time. Instant want, instant get, instant pot. Everytime I make Chinese braised beef shank, it disappears within minutes. I think I should double this recipe whenever I make it because it’s always a hit. This recipe does take a bit more time as you will need to sear your meat first but it’s worth it for the flavours. Best part, you can reuse the sauce for many other dishes, like when you make savoury Egg Custard
- 1 tablespoon of green onion
- 2 tablespoons of ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1.5-2lb beef shank
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup of light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- rock sugar to taste (I use about 2 tablespoons bc I like it a bit sweeter. I would recommend 1 tablespoon to start)
- 1 cup of water
- sesame oil to taste (in dipping sauce)
- star anise
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes (including time to pressurize)
Ready in: 1 hour 8 minutes
Serving size: 4-6
- Open the lid, Select Saute.
- Add your oil, ginger and green onions.
- Then sear the outside of your beef shank.
- Once seared, add both types of soy sauce, your rock sugar and water.
- Add in star anise. Make sure it’s submerged in liquid.
- Close the lid. Select the Meat/Stew button. This will set it for high pressure cooking for 35 minutes.
- When done, let the pressure release naturally (around 10 minutes).
- (Optional) Place in fridge for 4 hours with sauce.
- Slice braised beef and serve with dipping sauce.
- To make dipping sauce, combine 1/4 cup of the braised beef sauce with 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil.