Easy step by step video to show you how to make Baked Chinese New Year Cake / Neen Go 年糕 in your Instant Pot
Another Lunar New Year staple in the household – Baked Chinese New Year Cake / Neen Go 年糕. It’s crispy on top, soft and chewy inside. This can be made using the Instant Pot Airfryer but for those without this, I will have instructions on how to bake it in your oven too!
You can also check out the steamed version on www.myinstantpotlife.com/chinese-new-year-cake/. As always – super simple, super delicious.
Baked Chinese New Year Cake / Baked Neen Go 年糕
This is a spin on the traditional Chinese New Year Cake / Neen Go 年糕. Instead of steaming, the cake is baked so that the inside is soft and chewy while the top is sweet and crunchy.
- 1 ¼ cup glutinous rice flour
- ½ cup white or brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup coconut milk (you can use milk as substitute)
- 1 large egg
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Mix dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder.1 1/4 cup glutinous rice flour, 1/2 cup white or brown sugar, 1/2 tsp baking powder
- In separate bowl, beat eggs and milk together.1 large egg, 3/4 cup coconut milk
- Then add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until batter is fully combined.
- Oil pan and pour batter into 6.5” foil pan and smooth top. Sprinkle top with sesame seeds (optional).
- Place pan on trivet and using Air Fryer Bake at 325F for 35 minutes. If baking in oven, bake at 350F for 45 minutes.
- Fits 1 Round Pan 6.5"-7" diameter and 2" high.
- If you batter is dry, keep mixing and it will come together. If you are still struggling to get the batter into a slime like consistency, add a little bit of water slowly but no more than an extra 1/4 cup.
- To cut, oil the knife first so the Chinese New Year Cake Neen Go 年糕 doesn't stick.
- If baking in oven, bake at 350F for 45 minutes.