Easy step by step video to show you how to make Chinese New Year Cake / Neen Go 年糕 in your Instant Pot
It’s almost that time of year again, Chinese New Year. That means, lots of home cooked foods and of course, eating. What better way to start off the New Year with a Chinese New Year Cake 年糕! It’s sticky, but not too sticky. It’s sweet, but not too sweet. And it’s the perfect texture. I like to garnish with sesame, nuts, or red dates. What also tastes really delicious is Chinese New Year Cake sliced up, dipped in egg and pan-fried. Soft, warm and crispy at the same time. Yum!
Chinese New Year Cake / Neen Go 年糕
- 1.5 cups Glutinous Rice Flour (sweet rice flour)
- ½ cup Wheat Starch
- ¾ cups Brown Sugar
- ¼ cups White Sugar
- ¾ cups Water (you can substitute with coconut milk)
- Combine dry ingredients1.5 cups Glutinous Rice Flour, 3/4 cups Brown Sugar, 1/4 cups White Sugar, 1/2 cup Wheat Starch
- Add water/coconut milk to dry ingredients and mix.3/4 cups Water
- Pour batter into foil tray (spray/thinly coat pan with oil first).
- Open Instant Pot. Place trivet and 2 cups of water, then tray of batter.
- Close instant Pot. Select Steam for 30 minutes
- When done, quick release.
- Fits 1 Round Pan 6.5"-7" diameter and 2" high. Or you can use 2 Rectangle Pans 4"x6" and 2" high.
- If you batter is dry, keep mixing and it will come together. If you are still struggling to get the batter into a slime like consistency, add a little bit of water slowly but no more than an extra 1/4 cup.
- To cut, oil the knife first so the Chinese New Year Cake Neen Go 年糕 doesn't stick.
- To pan fry, lightly scramble an egg, then dip slices of Chinese New Year Cake / Neen Go 年糕. Add a bit of oil, then your dipped slices of cake. You can pan fry from your stove top or use the saute button from the Instant Pot.
- If steaming from stove top, make sure the water is boiling, then steam on high for 45 minutes.