It’s almost that time of year again, Chinese New Year. That means, lots of home cooked foods and of course, eating. What better way to start off the New Year with a Chinese New Year Cake (年糕)! It’s sticky, but not too sticky. It’s sweet, but not too sweet. And it’s the perfect texture. I like to garnish with sesame, nuts, or red dates. What also tastes really delicious is Chinese New Year Cake sliced up, dipped in egg and pan-fried. Soft, warm and crispy at the same time. Yum!
1.5 cups Glutinous Rice Flour (sweet rice flour)
1/2 cup Wheat Starch
3/4 cups Brown Sugar
1/4 cups White Sugar
3/4 cups Water, cold (you can substitute with coconut milk for extra flavour)
Prep time: 1 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes (including time to pressurize)
Ready in: 36 minutes
Serving size: 6-8
- Combine dry ingredients
- Add water/coconut milk to dry ingredients and mix.
- Pour batter into foil tray (spray/thinly coat pan with oil first).
- Open lid, place trivet and 2 cups of water, then tray of batter.
- Close lid. Select Steam for 30 minutes
- When done, quick release.