Great for dim sum AND Lunar New Years. Taro Cake (芋頭糕) is great all year round. The hardest part about taro cake is cutting the taro, but once that’s out of the way, cooking it is simple, tasty and quick! What normally would take twice the time to cook only takes 15 minutes in the pressure cooker. Want to bring out those yummy flavours? I highly recommend that you pan fry your ingredients first (or use the saute function on your instant pot). Happy eating 😀
2/3 cups Taro, 1/2″ cubes
1 cup Rice Flour
1 3/4 cups Liquid/Water
1 Chinese Sausage, diced
3 Shitake Mushrooms, soaked and diced
1/4 piece (about 1/4 cup) of Chinese Pork Belly, 1/4″ slices
3/4 teaspoon Five Spice
3/4 teaspoon Salt
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes (including time to pressurize)
Ready in: 40 minutes
Serving size: 6-8
- (Optional) Pan fry / Saute in Instant Pot the chinese sausage, pork belly. Add in the mushrooms, taro, 5 spice and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt.
- Mix rice flour, water and remaining salt
- Add pan fried / sauteed ingredients to flour mixture and combine.
- Open lid, place trivet and 1-1.5 cups of water, then tray of batter.
- Close lid. Select Pressure Cook, high pressure cooking, for 15 minutes
- When done, quick release. Let Taro Cake sit for 10 minutes or until any excess water has soaked back into the taro cake.