Easy step by step video to show you how to make Steamed Ginger Egg Custard Dessert 燉蛋 in your Instant Pot
I think this can be considered a healthy dessert if you overlook the rock sugar, right? This dessert is simple (and of course delicious), uses minimal ingredients, but still delivers a nice kick to your tastebuds. If you’ve never had this dessert, think of silky smooth sweet custard made with eggs. Ginger is optional, but I highly recommend since it helps tone down the sweetness.
Steamed Ginger Egg Custard Dessert 燉蛋
- 6 large Eggs
- 2 ½ cups Water (1.5 cups hot/boiled water, 1 cup cold/room temperature water)
- ½ cup Rock Sugar (about 4 oz)
- 1 inch knob of Ginger peeled, grated and squeezed (need to use 1/2 teaspoon of ginger juice)
- Peel, grate and squeeze ginger to get ginger juice. Set aside.
- Melt rock sugar with boiled water. After sugar has melted, add remaining cold water.
- In another bowl, lightly beat eggs.
- Add ginger juice through a fine strainer to eggs.
- Add sugar mixture to eggs and lightly mix.
- Pour mixture through a fine strainer into bowls / ramekins.
- Open Instant Pot. Add 1 cup of water and trivet into Instant Pot liner.
- Place 3 bowls on trivet. You can stack another 3 on top using another trivet in between if you like.
- Close the Instant Pot. Select Steam for 10 minutes.
- When done, quick release and serve.
- If steaming from stove top, make sure the water is at a boiling, then steam on high for 20 minutes.