I think this can be considered a healthy dessert if you overlook the rock sugar, right? This dessert is simple (and of course delicious), uses minimal ingredients, but still delivers a nice kick to your tastebuds. If you’ve never had this dessert, think of silky smooth sweet custard made with eggs. Ginger is optional, but I highly recommend since it helps tone down the sweetness.
- 6 large Eggs
- 2 ½ cups Water (1.5 cups hot/ boiled water, 1 cup cold/room temperature)
- 4 oz Rock Sugar (about 1/2 cup)
- 1-2 inch knob Ginger, peeled, grated and squeezed (need to use 1/2 teaspoon of ginger juice)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 17 minutes (including time to pressurize)
Ready in: 22 minutes
Serving size: 3
- Peel, grate and squeeze ginger to get ginger juice. Set aside.
- Melt rock sugar with boiled water. After melted, add remaining cold water.
- In another bowl, lightly beat eggs.
- Add ginger juice through a fine strainer to eggs.
- Add sugar mixture to eggs and lightly mix.
- Pour mixture through a fine strainer into bowls / ramekins.
- Open instant pot lid. Add 1 cup of water and trivet.
- Place 3 bowls on trivet. You can stack another 3 on top using another trivet in between if you like.
- Close the lid and set Steam for 10 minutes.
- When done, quick release and serve.