Easy step by step video to show you how to make Macau Style Portuguese Chicken on Rice in your Instant Pot
I love making this – Portuguese Chicken on Rice. It’s HK cafe food right in your own home. My favourite part is that you make the chicken and rice all in one pot thanks to the Instant Pot. Flavourful, delicious and easy to make.
Portuguese Chicken on Rice
This is a popular Hong Kong cafe dish from Macau called Portuguese Chicken on Rice. Easy recipe where you can make both the rice and the chicken in the same pot.
- 5 Chicken Thighs skin on (bone on or off)
- 1 Carrot 1/2" slices (optional)
- 1 Onion 1/2" slices
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Chicken Broth / Water
To Marinate Chicken:
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Ginger powder / fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons Soy Sauce
Slurry to Thicken Sauce (optional):
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Water cold
- 2 cups Jasmine rice washed
- 2 cups Water
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese grated
- Marinate the chicken with salt, pepper, ginger, sugar, garlic, and soy sauce.
- Open Instant Pot, Select saute and add oil. Brown chicken skin side first, then flip.
- Turn off saute, then add in onions and carrots.
- Add turmeric, cumin, coconut milk, and chicken broth/water. Gently mix.
- Add trivet, then container with rice and water on top
- Close the Instant Pot. Select Rice function for 15 minutes.
- When done, release pressure. Remove Rice, Chicken and vegetables. Leave sauce inside.
To thicken sauce:
- Select saute and simmer down for 5-10 minutes until sauce is thicker.
- OR bring liquid to boil and add slurry of cornstarch and cold water. This is done once sauce boils.
- In oven safe dish, plate rice with portuguese chicken, vegetables and sauce. Sprinkle with cheese on top and boil for 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.