Easy step by step video to show you how to make Malay Cake / Ma Lai Go 馬拉糕 / Chinese Sponge Cake in your Instant Pot
Learn how to make dim sum malay cake like a pro using this easy Malay Cake / Ma Lai Go (馬拉糕) / Chinese Sponge Cake recipe and your Instant Pot. One bite into this cake will bring you back to times of eating dim sum at restaurants 😀
Malay Cake / Ma Lai Go 馬拉糕 / Chinese Sponge Cake
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 tablespoons cake and pastry flour (1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons custard powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Beat eggs until fluffy.2 large eggs
- Then add sugar and mix.6 tablespoons white sugar
- Add milk, oil and vanilla extract and mix.2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 3 tablespoons evaporated milk, 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift dry ingredients and mix with rest of batter until just combined.10 tablespoons cake and pastry flour, 2 tablespoons custard powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pour into 6" pan.
- Open Instant Pot. Add water, trivet, then pan to Instant Pot liner.
- Close Instant Pot. Select Cake function high pressure for 20 minutes.
- When done, quick release or release naturally (NPR). Either way works.
- Fits 1 Round Pan 6" diameter and 2.5" high.
- Remember to not over mix or the batter will lose all the air pockets and the cake will come out hard and deflated.
- If steaming from stove top, make sure the water is boiling, then steam on high for 40 minutes.